Those headphones you use day in and day out do get dirty. But how often do you really think about cleaning them? That’s what I thought. Today, let’s take a look at what you should be doing to clean your headphones right now so you can make sure they are in the best shape they can be. After all, who wants to stick diry headphones in or on their ears? Am I right?
Why Clean Them
So why do they need cleaning? Over time, they accumulate dirt and grime and even ear wax if you use earbuds. Leaving this nastiness on them and then sticking them into your ear can put you at risk for ear infections as some germs and bacteria love this kind of dirtiness. They also just look, well, gross. So why not clean them?
How to Clean Your Headphones
It is pretty easy to clean your headphones and will only take a few minutes of your time. Let’s take a look at what you need to do.
1. Unplug your headphones
2. If your headphones have covers, remove them.
3. Using a gentle cleaner or even something like a baby wipe and a soft cloth, gently wipe the ear pieces of your headphones to remove the dirt. If they are really dirty, you may want to use a soft brush such as a child’s toothbrush to get into every little tight space you will find on them.
4. Using the same cloth, slowly pull the cables through it to remove any dirt that has gotten on the mas well so they look clean.
5. Take a dry cloth, and gently dry every part of your earbuds or headphones.
6. Allow to air dry over night if possible. Never plug them in right away. Remember, liquid isn’t an enemy of your headphones unless there is power running to them.
How Often Should You Clean Your Headphones
This isn’t an easy question to answer as it really comes down to how often you use them. If you only use your headphones occasionally, then you can probably get away with only cleaning them once or month or on an as needed basis. However, if you use them daily or if you use them when you workout or do any type of labor that causes you to sweat, I would recommend cleaning them at least once a week but the more the better.
While we all often forget to give our headphones a good cleaning, it is actually very important to do. Thankfully it is a pretty easy process. After you use your headphones for a long period of time, be sure to clean them. You should also consider making the cleaning of your headphones a regular habit so they are ready to be used whenever you need them.
Do you clean your headphones or is it something you never think about? Let me know what you do to care for your headphones in the comments below?